9.17.2012

discipling the hearts of our children

Chick and I enjoyed some bonding time this morning on Town Lake, one of my favorite Austin hotspots. As much as I have enjoyed and loved the trail in the past (life pre-babies), jogging with my babes- J-man and now, Chick- I enjoy it all the more. Living life with those you live makes life all the richer.

Chick loves (I mean, LOVES!) being outside, especially if it involves animals. Well, if you're an Austinite, you know that Town Lake is dog heaven. So this little Chickadee was in heaven herself. As she's bobbing along in her jogging stroller (pun intended!) she is having the time of her life pointing out to me the animals that she spots and is squealing with delight as the dogs dart to and fro. I don't think my heart could feel fuller.

Lately I've been thinking about how to love Chick in the role I've been given as her mom. That love-feeling/emotion is there but I've been ever more convinced and convicted that my role is so much deeper. God has entrusted her to me (and Bart, of course), so I want to be a faithful stewart of this previous gift that I have been given. I don't want to just parent haphazardly or on the fly; I want to intentionally love her through discipling her. That is both a high call and a high privilege.

I've had some personal "ah-ha!" moments along the way that I'm looking forward to journaling about via my blog. Being a mom is certainly a job in which learning and growing never ends!

"We ought to give thanks always to God for you, brothers, as is right, because your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing."
{2 Thessalonians 1:3}

1 comment:

  1. I'm anxious to read and hear more of your thoughts on this :)

    ReplyDelete